<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, December 12, 2003

I made about ten ATCs of the twenty I needed for my trades. It took me about an hour - sometimes two - per card. For the last ten I discovered that colour photocopies are reasonably good (Kate even asked me if one of my copies was an original) and cheap.

Yet, even the photocopied ones took me a long time to mount on card paper, as well as attaching the required information on the backs of the cards and writing addresses on the envelopes. I developed a nice font for the addresses and my flourishes are getting quite elaborate.

The problem with ATCs is that I spend a lot of time on something I will never see again. For my twenty this time I spent over ten hours. Plus, with my best ATCs, I am reluctant to give away the original.

I've decided to continue my ATC hobby, but to quit trading ATCs online. This is too time-consuming as I've got definite deadlines under which I have to mail them. ATC traders seem to reply very quickly asking when I'll live up to my end of the bargain. I will make pieces for the monthly trade on Main and limit myself to that. Even there most of my cards will be photocopied ones.

I love getting mail and especially decorated mail...but I will have to encourage my own distant friends to doodle more than to rely on artsy strangers to entertain me.

*****

My address font proved to be immediately useful in my day job. Gwen the account executive wanted handwritten notes in each card. She gave me a short script: "To X, Best wishes from the Service Delivery Team and staff at Y Ltd." For two glorious days I transformed these simple words into a stack of curlicues and plumes for management in my company.

No one had any idea I have artistic pretensions so my wild flourishes stunned everyone in the company. Meaghan said she wanted my font on her computer. Lisa joked that I should write her Christmas cards. Hopefully this will translate into yearly commissions of Christmas card writing.

My goal by then is to master Queen Elizabeth I's signature.

Comments: Post a Comment

Archives

Categories


Coming soon?

Most Commented
Yuck.
Me vs. Kwik-E-Mart


Animals

Asia

Cartoons

Etc