<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Novel Muskrat 


Friday, November 04, 2005

Last night I picked up How to Write Tales of Horror, Fantasy & Science Fiction (edited by J.N. Williamson) for an article by Ramsey Campbell, "What's Been Done to Death."

Towards the end of the article, there was a fraction of a sentence that stood out to me: "If an idea or something larger refuses to be developed, try altering the viewpoint..."

So, I decided to make Caesonia, named after Caligula's wife, provide that additional viewpoint. This is good because Caesonia has been dead for a good many years and I so wanted to have ghosts in my story.

Caesonia is a stuffed muskrat inspired by a real stuffed muskrat. At one of those dangfangled museum conferences, a rival museum had the muskrat at their booth.

"You can pet it," said the people running the booth.

The poor muskrat was bald.

"That's because so many people have been petting it on the head," they said.

I am not exactly sure what Caesonia will do now that she has a viewpoint.

Then there are a few other characters I want to add. A pair of siamese twins, for sure. Maybe a decapitated lady like the one in the fair I saw when I was eight.

I've decided that at one point all the ghosts in the castle will appear, beheaded, leaving no doubt as to why the castle was empty when the main character dropped in for a visit. It must have been the evil chancellor doing away with the traditional seats of power.

Ugh. Back to writing.

Comments: Post a Comment

Archives

Categories


Coming soon?

Most Commented
Yuck.
Me vs. Kwik-E-Mart


Animals

Asia

Cartoons

Etc