<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Zombie Knitting 


Sunday, June 04, 2006

Inspired by the zombie armageddon imagination exercise in the Dawn of the Dead remake, I put three books with zombie stories on hold at the library. Each week I read one of the stories.

Next week, it'll be James Herbert's The Fog. Last week it was Neil Gaiman's Bitter Grounds, from The Mammoth Book of Best New Horror, Volume Fifteen. Unfortunately, the story was about traditional zombies. Good writing but I am looking for the ghoulish zombie, not the voodoo one. Eating the living and the eaten formerly living rising up to join their brethern. That sort of thing.

Last night it was Stephen King's Home Delivery in his Nightmares & Dreamscapes. Ghoulish zombies, yes, but not enough of them. Only mentions of the living being cannibalized - more gore, please.

The one highlight in the story lies in the pleasure this prodigal daughter of knitting got from the following two paragraphs:
The cold cobwebs of bone, which were all that remained of his fingers touched her throat before the baby kicked in her stomach - for the first time - and her shocked horror, which she had believed to be calmness, fled, and she drove one of the knitting needles into the thing's eye.

Making horrid thick choking noises that sounded like the suck of a swill pump, he staggered backward, clawing at the needle, while the half-made pink bootie swung in front of the cavity where his nose had been. She watched as a sea slug squirmed from that nasal cavity and onto the bootie, leaving a trail of slime behind it.

Comments:
Mr King rarely makes good with the short stories. I just finished Nightmares & Dreamscapes. I agree, more gore. Generally I think horror should be more subtle, but zombies require lots of squelchiness. Non-zombie, but definitely awesome is "The Mist" in Skeleton Crew, which also has "The Raft," "The Jaunt," and "The Ballad of the Flexible Bullet" For Zombies, HP Lovecraft's "Herbert West: Re-animator" is an interesting take.
 
The Fog is good so far, not sure what I think of the zombies just yet.
 
I have not read that, but both film versions were quite lame, if mildly entertaining. The original is the better of the two. The are more corporeal, leper ghosts than zombies, per se.
 
Thank you for letting me know. I suppose I will finish reading it since I started it.

Damn for leper ghosts.
 
All they need is Jesus.
 
....and my bad, as they say, sometime I get a little ahead of myself. Well, often.
 
All they need is Jesus?

With Jesus rising from the dead and all, I kind of wish he did the partaking of blood and flesh, not the other way around. That would make for a great explanation for spiritually-based zombie theories.

Speaking of Jesus, anyone read that new Jesus vs. Vampires comic?
 
No, but it sounds riviting. Anyhow, I like your take on Jesus. A Zombie Christ sounds like fun.
 
Post a Comment

Archives

Categories


Coming soon?

Most Commented
Yuck.
Me vs. Kwik-E-Mart


Animals

Asia

Cartoons

Etc